Skip to main content

New Year, new Blog!

Hey guys,

I know I have not posted in almost two years but I decided to try this blogging thingy one more time! Originally this blog was meant soley for class purposes but lately I have been itching to find a new outlet to express myself, and what better way to do that than to blog? I don't believe in twitter so really this is the only way for me to go. Oh by the way I think I will change the name of this blog as I haven't been in the Linguistics of Food in two years! Its high time I change the scope of this blog to something more personal and more me.
While change is on the agenda that does not mean I will stop talking about food! On the contrary, I cannot get enough of food and I plan on pulling a Julie and Julia. More to come soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mhmm, Delicious?

OUTLINE: of my project: Frish and Frosh Experiment Here is the outline of my experiment: Research: the vowels and sounds used in words that mean "big, small" etc. in *Sri Lankan, spanish, and french. 1. Following the procedure of the Frish vs. Frosh experiment, I will see if their conclusion holds true with international students. 2. I will have one or two native speakers of english as a control. I will then use one native speaker of sri lankan, spanish, and perhaps french. *note: the languages are tentative. 3. I will take the experiment one step further: I will give the participants two bowls of icecream: one named frish and the other frosh. I will tell them that they are the different icecreams they read about. 4. But there is a catch: actually they are eating the same ice cream. 5. Will what they have read about the icecreams affect how they feel the icecream tastes? Will one icecream taste better than the other? 6. Powerpoint presentation, perhaps. I found it quite diffi...

Cheesecake Recipes

Today I am going to talk about Cheesecakes! I found this great site where one can find lots of information about the History of Cheesecake, including this old recipe from England in the mid-16th century. http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/Cheesecake.htmv For those of you who are cheesecake virgins, this creamy delight is made with few, simple ingredients (traditionally). It has eggs, milk, sugar, cream cheese, and if you want a crumbly bottom, a graham cracker crust. I compared two recipes of cheesecakes. One was from the cookbook called " A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye, declarynge what maner of meates be beste in season, for al times in the yere, and how they ought to be dressed, and serued at the table, bothe for fleshe dayes, and fyshe days ", and one from the Food Network. Mid-16th Century Recipe for Cheese Cake: To make a tarte of Chese Take harde Chese and cutte it in slyces,and pare it, than laye it in fayre water, or in swete mylke, the space of three ...

Reward yourself....with a Milano Cookie

Milano cookies are part of a series of cookies made by Pepperidge Farm (which also make a series of grain breads) made for those who have a "discriminating taste". The taste terms I chose for today's post are "distinctive cookies" and the line "Picture if you will, its subtle contours, its perect balance". Makes me think that what I am eating is not just some cookie but a work of art. That is, I think, the feeling Pepperidge Famr is trying to convey. Just take a look at the side panel of the package the cookies came in: "The Art of the Cookie...Begin with a baker;s soul. Seek the finest ingredients...Open... Taste...Delight. By taking a bite of one sweet, crunchy Milano cookie, you are going to "entertain inspirations" and "embrace decadent cravings". A Milano cookie is not some calorie-ridden dessert that follows a meal...it is an experience unto itself. These cookies are definitely not made for the same type of consumer as N...